Practical Prepping Podcast Episode # 72, "Taking The Buzz Out Of Mosquitos"
Please share this episode with friends. Here is the direct link: https://practicalpreppingpodcast.buzzsprout.com
In this episode we discuss:
We Can Kill Them
- With electronic zappers
- By feeding them to the birds
- Build Purple Martin houses--they eat not only mosquitoes, but also carpenter bees, wasps, flies and some other prsky insects
Eliminate Their Breeding Areas
- Larvae grow in standing water
- In old tires, buckets, tubs, pots, low spots in your landscape holding water
Treat Standing Water
- Areas that cannot be kept dry
- Some essential oils are --lavender, peppermint
- Scatter coffee grounds on standing water
- Few drops of heavy oil, such as motor oil floats on the water, creating a barrier, and cutting off the larvae's access to air
- Commercial DEET repellent
- Lemon eucalyptus oil
- Lavender oil
- Cinnamon oil mix--
- 1/4 tsp oil, 4 ounces of water
- Spray on clothing and skin
- Thyme oil
- Burning thyme leaves in a campfire provides about 85% protection for 60-90 minutes
- Burning citronella candles keeps them away
- Some plants repel mosquitoes
- Basil, Bee Balm, Catnip, Citronella (Available As Geraniums Now), Garlic, Lavender, Lemongrass, Marigold, Peppermint, Rosemary, Sage, Mint, Thyme, Chysanthemums, Tansy
- Consider Planting a herb garden near porches & patio areas.
Treating Mosquito Bites
- Natural treatments
- Apple cider vinegar
- Slice of raw onion
- Freshly cut garlic
- (also wards off vampires)
- OTC treatments
- Calamine lotion
- Hydrocortisone cream
- "Sting Kill" ampules or "Bite Stick" (Good to carry in bags)
Our Plan Of Attack To Take The Buzz Out Of Mosquitoes...
- Check the area for mosquito breeding opportunities.
- Plant herbs and foliage which naturally repel mosquitoes.
- Place spray repellent in BOBs, on the porch, with camping gear, and in vehicles.
Please consider supporting the podcast by buying us a cup of coffee. You can do that by going to www.buymeacoffee.com/practicalprep
We invite you to drop us an email at [email protected]
Visit our website at www.practicalprepping.info
Join us on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays for more episodes of Practical Prepping Podcast.